AOTRAUMA.ORG Центр Илизарова  

Ортопедия и травматология Общие вопросы/General questions Help Информационные технологии в медицине
 вверх
 отправить
 поиск
 админ
 главная

ortho classifications
Ортопедия и травматология Отправлено Peter Romchuk 24 Сентябрь 2004, 23:13
Dear all, please let me know, how often different orthopaedic classifications are used in your practice.
Here in Ukraine there is a tendency to use AO classification of fractures along with some ortho classifications, developed in soviet period.However, when one glances at, say, Rockwood's _Fractures, or Wheeless' Textbook of Orthopaedics, it is easy to see a lot of "unconventional" classifications by various authors. I especially wish to hear the opinion of my colleagues from Europe and USA, but also from all other orthopods, as I'm planning to write a work on this subject. It's sometimes a problem, when you come across some classification, mentioned in an article, and should crawl through a chain of journals to find the source. It would be nice to have them (classifications) all in one handy volume.Please, reply to the list or to romchuk@rivne.comThank you, Peter Romchuk, orthopaedic surgeon, Central City Hospital,Rivne, Ukraine.

<  |  >

• Сообщения о Ортопедия и травматология
  • Также Peter Romchuk
  • Связаться с автором
  • Ответить

Re: ortho classifications
    David Nelson, MD 24 Сентябрь 2004, 23:56
    This is a great topic for discussion. The AO classification has the advantage of being universal, that is, it can be applied to all
    fractures. It has the disadvantages of being not applicable to all fractures (), because it does not address specific issues with each fracture, and has been found in many studies to be non-reproducible, that is, inter- and intra-observer repeatability is poor.

It would be a great thesis topic. Many scholars have tried to address this, without success. For instance, the Internation Federation of Societies for Surgery of the Hand examined distal radial fractures, to determine if a current system was best, and if not, could they create one. They had some great minds in the study. Their conclusion (see http://www.eRadius.com, click on What's New, then scroll down to Feb 2, 2002, and just below is a link to IFSSH's review of distal radius classifications http://www.eradius.com/IFSSH_Classification_D1.htm).

David Nelson, MD
    [ Ответить ]

Re: ortho classifications
    Alexander Chelnokov 24 Сентябрь 2004, 23:58
    R> please let me know, how often different orthopaedic classifications are used
    R> in your practice.

I wouldn't expect definitive answers like "I use 47 ones - the list is below..."

R> However, when one glances at, say, Rockwood's _Fractures, or Wheeless'
    R> Textbook of Orthopaedics, it is easy to see a lot of
    R> "unconventional" classifications by various authors.

And often with description of the classiciations or at least a reference.

R> It's sometimes a problem, when you come across some classification,
    R> mentioned in an article, and should crawl through a chain of journals to find the
    R> source.

It is an example of what the Internet ortho community can be useful for. You and other colleagues may remember cases of such requests and prompt detailed replies.

R> It would be nice to have them (classifications) all in one handy volume.

Great idea! I would offer to start it as an on-line project - it is most rapid and transparent environment allowing to attract more contributing volunteers.
    [ Ответить ]

( Ответить )