AOTRAUMA.ORG Центр Илизарова  

Ортопедия и травматология Общие вопросы/General questions Help Информационные технологии в медицине
 вверх
 отправить
 поиск
 админ
 главная

Peri-prosthetic femoral fracture
Ортопедия и травматология Отправлено Mr Theophilus Asumu 21 Ноябрь 2006, 09:32
78 year old lady.
IB 2 knee replacement in 1999.
Well functioning implant. Fell at home last week on the stairs and has this fracture.
The rest of the femur and tibia are intact.Slim build. Good medical condition.Problems: 1). There is very little bone distal to the fracture.
2). There is rather limited room between the condyles in an IB2 knee for a retrograde nail.
Ideas welcome.
Many Thanks.
Mr Theophilus Asumu FRCS (Tr & Orth)
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
Oldham
United Kingdom

<  |  >

• Сообщения о Ортопедия и травматология
  • Также Mr Theophilus Asumu
  • Связаться с автором
  • Ответить

Re: Peri-prosthetic femoral fracture
    Alexaander Chelnokov 21 Ноябрь 2006, 13:43
    MTA> 2). There is rather limited room between the condyles in an IB2 knee for
    MTA> a retrograde nail.

Go antegrade if you have an approriate implant available. Attached is a result of a similar fracture.

[ Ответить ]

Dr Andrea Salvi 21 Ноябрь 2006, 13:46
    Dear colleague,

I would suggest the use of an external fixation on both the condyles, with a single fiche on the internal condylus (stabilizing antirotatory function), two fiches on the external condyles and three fiches on the dyaphisis.

Best regards,

Andrea E. Salvi - MD
    Orthopaedic and Traumatism Department
    Mellino Mellini Hospital Trust
    Civil Hospital of Iseo (Brescia), Italy
    [ Ответить ]

Myles Clough 21 Ноябрь 2006, 13:47
    The implication from Mr Asumu's original message is that if a retrograde nail was possible he would do it. If it is truly impossible then I would agree with Alex' suggestion; perhaps use a hacksaw to shorten the nail a little. If it's just "difficult" to do a retrograde nail and you have proved (on the bench) that you can get nail up past the implant, then I would try that and revert to antegrade if on the day it is "impossible".
    Another thought - spanning external fixator holding the fracture reduced until healing then whatever procedures are necessary to recover range and acceptable function once the fracture has healed. This might mean a revision TKR but one with a reasonable chance of success and you might get away with no major procedures.

Myles Clough
    Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon (Retired), Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Clinical Instructor, University of British Columbia
    [ Ответить ]

• Re: Peri-prosthetic femoral fracture
      Отправитель: george therthanath 21 Ноябрь 2006, 14:19
      Myles,

The external fixator very close to the knee prosthesis till such time that we get good union!

Isn't there a high risk of infection to the prosthesis in this procedure?
      Or, are there any tricks to minimise infection from a pin tract that will be very close to the prosthesis?

Dr. T. I. George,
      Senior Orthopaedic Surgeon
      And Head of Orthopaedics Unit-III,
      Little Flower Hospital and research Centre,
      Angamaly, Kerala State,
      India.

[ Ответить ]
    Niraj L Vora 21 Ноябрь 2006, 14:16
    How about a LISS or similar implant? Or am I missing a trick here??

Niraj

Niraj L Vora
    Orthopaedic Surgeon
    Prescot, UK
    [ Ответить ]

Отправитель: Alexander Chelnokov 21 Ноябрь 2006, 14:24
      Of course, locked plates can be suitable. Though antegrade nail would be less invasive.

[ Ответить ]
    katsevman haim 21 Ноябрь 2006, 18:12
    if the prosthesis is stable i advise to fixate this frx with retrograde nail if possible that will be more stable than anterograde or internal fix devise like l-plate, 90 degree DHS or LCP ...if the prosthesis is loosed - revision will be done ...
    [ Ответить ]

Dr Abdelsalam Eid 22 Ноябрь 2006, 00:01
    Dear Mr Asumu
    I think LISS plate would be a very good solution to this problem. Antegrade nailing in this type
    of fracture requires a nail with many locking possibilities distally. Even then, I would still
    worry about the stability of fixation od the ability to mobilize early. I would strongly advise
    against external fixation near a TKR. The potential complications may be disasterous.
    Best of luck

Dr Abdelsalam EID M.D., AFSA (Paris V)
    AO Fellow
    Lecturer of Orthopedic Surgery
    Faculty of Medicine, Zagazig University,
    Egypt.
    [ Ответить ]

Mr Theophilus Asumu 22 Ноябрь 2006, 17:41
    My preference would be to rigidly fix the fracture internally. I just feel that it may not be possible given the very porotic nature of the bone distal to the fracture (I am re-sending the lateral x-ray which really concerns me).

I doubt if I could lock a nail (either antegrade or retrograde) distal to the fracture which extends virtually to the implant. I have similar concerns about plate fixation. Has anyone got a reasonable volume of experience with this type of fracture?

I would be very nervous about infection with an external fixator close to the TKR. A spanning fixator is an idea but the knee will surely be incredibly stiff at the end of treatment. How easy is it for a lady in her 70s to mobilise in a spanning fixator?

Many Thanks.

Mr Theophilus Asumu FRCS (Tr & Orth)
    Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
    Oldham
    United Kingdom

[ Ответить ]

Отправитель: Lou Nunez 22 Ноябрь 2006, 17:45
      I have seen a number of fractures of this type. I believe that due to fact that this fracture is mainly metaphyseal, excellent healing potential is present. I don't believe that a spanning exfix would be a good choice due to the fact that you might not get the motion that you want. I believe
      that a percutaneous Lis plate may be the way to go. You should be able to get some screws across the metaphysis and get decent alignment. I know that others have mentioned the Lis plate, but I don't think anyone has suggested a percutaneous approach. This approach would not disturb the callus which is probably already forming by now.

This is not an easy problem!

Good luck,

Lou Nunez, MD, Fishkill, NY

[ Ответить ]
    Каминский Андрей 29 Ноябрь 2006, 19:48
    Прошу прощения за Русский. Мы бы делали ппаратом Илизарова, с поксимальной стержневой базой и дистальной кольцевой на дисьальном отломке с фиксацией коленного сустава в аппарате на 3 - 4 недели.
    С уважением, Каминский А.В.
    [ Ответить ]

( Ответить )