AOTRAUMA.ORG Центр Илизарова  

Ортопедия и травматология Общие вопросы/General questions Help Информационные технологии в медицине
 вверх
 отправить
 поиск
 админ
 главная
 Предыдущее
 Весь тред

Re: Огнестрельный перелом луча
Alexander Chelnokov 19 Март 2004, 15:41
TAC> Although one could argue for intramedullary fixation on a theoretical basis,
TAC> plates work very well on the radius shaft in both practice and theory.

Recent years we nail without site opening all shaft forearm fractures by individually customized titanium nails.

TAC> Restoring length, rotation and stability immediately

By a quite invasive open mobilization and reduction...
So it seems reasonable to restore length and axis gradually.
A distractor was applied, anв the x-ray is performed after strong manual traction.

TAC> and obtaining ultimate bone healing will greatly enhance the
TAC> potential for soft tissue recovery. (in contrast to accepting a
TAC> chronic nonunion around some kind of small intramedullary

Proper alignment and good stability is reachable by a closed nail, at least of that sort we use. Anyway final result will mostly depend on hand function/sensitivity rather than radial (non)union. Which itself didn't bother the patient.

TAC> To me, there is a good treatment option available with reasonably
TAC> good chance of success and no need to try something innovative.

If the the stable aligned radius can be reached without excessive incision and open mobilization why neglect the option?
  • Сообщения о Ортопедия и травматология
  • Также Alexander Chelnokov
  • Связаться с автором
  • Ответить

Tom DeCoster 19 Март 2004, 19:43
    All good points you make.

I do think hand and soft tissue recovery would be enhanced by solid bone union of a reasonably reduced radius. Your mention of accepting nonunion with a "shaft endoprosthesis" suggests that you might also be concerned that IM nailing might have a resonably high persistent nonunon rate. I suspect it would be higher than with plating. But plating has it's drawbacks, notably extensive dissection as you noted.

By the way, yesterday I saw for the first time, a titanium roof being put on a house.

TD
    [ Ответить ]

Dr. T. I. George 19 Март 2004, 19:55
    Alex,

I have not been following this discussion in detail. However would like to give a comment on your statement.

AC : If the the stable aligned radius can be reached without excessive incision and open mobilization why neglect the option?

Having put the patient on ring fixator, the intervention required for nerve exploration, repair and grafting are delayed till the fixators are removed.
    This is bound to affect the end result of nerve repair/ grafting. If an open procedure like plating was resorted to, then nerve intervention also could have been taken up simultaneosly and total recovery period could have been shorter with probably a better end result.

Dr. T. I. George.
    [ Ответить ]

• Re: Огнестрельный перелом луча
      Отправитель: Alexander Chelnokov 19 Март 2004, 20:07
      t> Having put the patient on ring fixator, the intervention required for nerve
      t> exploration, repair and grafting are delayed till the fixators are removed.

Exactly.

t> This is bound to affect the end result of nerve repair/ grafting.

Do you suppose the end result would be markedly affected if the fixator was applied in 5.5 months since the initial injury, and is to be removed within 2-3 weeks, in 6 months?

t> nerve intervention also could have been taken up simultaneosly and
      t> total recovery period could have been shorter with probably a
      t> better end result.

I would expect a better result if nerve/vessel repair would be
      performed by a skilled team which is not available in my settings.

[ Ответить ]
      • Re: Огнестрельный перелом луча
        Отправитель: Dr. T. I. George 20 Март 2004, 10:41
        Dear Alex,

If the fixator is going to come out in 2-3 weeks time, then it should not make a difference. If you are planning to internally stabilise at this time, then are you sure that the nail will be sufficient for the subsequent procedure?

I agree that it makes a difference to get an experienced person to do the nerve and vascular repair. If your centre has sufficient trauma load it may be worth to send someone for this training and he/she will be an asset to the team and centre.

Dr. T. I. George

[ Ответить ]

( Ответить )